Jackson Criminal Defense Attorneys
Know Your Rights
At Camp Law Firm, we help our clients understand legal procedures and their Constitutional rights. Our Jackson criminal defense lawyers have more than 17 years of experience, and we want to provide you with aggressive representation in your time of need. If you are facing criminal charges, contact us today to find out how we can help!
We want to help you be prepared and understand your rights if you have a run-in with the law. We inform our clients of what officers can and cannot legally do, and we stand beside you. By knowing the law, you can help see to it that the arresting officer remains within the established legal boundaries.
What should I know?
Officers must have probable cause to pull you over, such as suspicious behavior, erratic driving, or a clear violation of the law. Roadblocks can be established so that officers can check compliance with seat belt laws or search for a criminal. Officers are not allowed to pull you over for no reason. If you are pulled over, comply with the officer and remember the reasons given for your detainment.
Officers must have probable cause to search your car, such as smelling drugs or alcohol, or seeing open beer bottles, firearms, or drug paraphernalia in plain view. If officers have a search warrant, they can search your house, but must stay within the limits set by the warrant. If you consent to have your home searched without a warrant, anything they find can be used against you in court.
When officers ask to speak with you, you are under no obligation to answer questions. If they handcuff you and ask questions, you can ask if you are under arrest; if not, you can then ask to be let go. If you are under arrest, your rights must be read to you and anything you say afterwards can be used against you.
What Can Criminal Lawyers in Mississippi Do if My Rights Were Violated?
- Evaluate the Validity of the Arrest: A criminal defense attorney can thoroughly review the circumstances surrounding your arrest to determine if the law enforcement acted legally. If they find that there was no probable cause for arrest or the procedure was not followed properly, they have the grounds to challenge the arrest.
- Examine Search and Seizure Process: The attorney can look into whether law enforcement had a valid search warrant or probable cause to search your property. If any evidence was obtained illegally, your lawyer can file a motion to suppress that evidence.
- Protect Your Right to Remain Silent: If you were not read your Miranda rights after being arrested, any statements made may not be admissible in court. Your attorney can make sure your right to remain silent was protected.
- Challenge Field Sobriety and Breathalyzer Tests: If you were charged with a DUI, your attorney can study how the sobriety tests were conducted. If any errors were made or your rights were violated, it could lead to the dismissal of your charges.
- Negotiate Plea Bargains: If a dismissal is not possible, the lawyer can negotiate a plea bargain on your behalf, potentially reducing your charges or the severity of your sentence.
- Representation in Court: Your attorney will represent you in court, advocating for your rights and presenting a robust defense strategy. If your rights were violated at any point in the process, this forms a crucial part of your defense.
- Post-Trial Actions: If found guilty, the attorney can help with post-trial actions including appeals and sentence reductions, especially if there's evidence of rights violation during the initial trial.
Remember, knowing how to beat a DUI in Mississippi or handle any other criminal charges largely hinges on understanding your rights and having a competent criminal defense attorney by your side to ensure they are respected.
Legal Representation You Can Trust
In any situation where you are questioned, searched, or arrested by a law enforcement officer, it is important to contact our lawyers immediately to help protect your rights. You should comply with the officer's instructions and cooperate with them. Aggressive, informative, and thorough, we can challenge the charges against you and work to convince the jury to reach a positive conclusion to your case.
What sets us apart from the rest? We have established multiple accomplishments, including:
- National College of DUI Defense member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers lifetime member
- The National Advocacy for DUI Defense Top 50 DUI Attorney
- Mississippi Business Journal Top 50 Leading Attorneys
We are dedicated to upholding the rights of our clients, and we can passionately defend them in court. With our top-notch legal services, you can obtain the representation you need to beat the charges. Contact us today for a free, in-person initial consultation!
Our Jackson law firm serves the residents of Ridgeland, Madison, Brandon, Pearl, Flowood, Starkville, Oxford, Hattiesburg, Meridian, and Vicksburg.